Re: [debian-knoppix] how to make a usb-stick bootable with isolinux

Hi Jochen,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 13:15:55 +0100, Jochen Schindler wrote:

> I customized a Knoppix-CD and use isolinux now. It is working perfect
> on a CD.
> But now I want to put it on a USB-Stick and boot from there.
> How can I make the stick bootable which is using isolinux as well.

Isolinux is only for booting from iso9660 filesystem. USB sticks typically
have (v)fat filesystems, so you should use syslinux for that. You don't
need to put a floppy image on the stick, syslinux can boot kernel and
initrd files directly from the stick. However, this is _very_ BIOS
dependent.

If you want to boot Knoppix from USB stick, you must also modify
miniroot.gz to include usb-uhci.o, usb-ohci.o and usb-storage.o,
otherwise /linuxrc can't mount the stick and find the cloop image.

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                    chris AT linuxinfotag.de
Grunaer Str. 31                                    http://silmor.de/~chris/