[debian-knoppix] PCMCIA ethernet card not detected

I have a Realtek PCMCIA ethernet card in my notebook, and it requires
module 8139too. It worked fine with Knoppix 3.2, but with 3.3 I have to
do some work to force the module to load.

As root, typing "modprobe 8139too" should load the module, but it fails.
Interestingly, if I remove the card from the slot and re-insert it
(after the system has booted), the module will load automatically. Then,
of course, I must manually run ifconfig to configure the card.

Perhaps this is a bug that will be fixed shortly when Knoppix 3.4 is
released. In the meantime, I'm looking for a way that I can force the
module to load without having to physically remove and re-insert the
card. I've tried various things like running a script with "hotplug" and
"discover" but this doesn't work. All I can tell you is that when I
insert the card (after boot), I get this message on screen:

  cs: cb_alloc(bus 1): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139
  PCI: Enabling device 01:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
  8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
  eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xc49a6000m, 00:50:22:00:08:02,
IRQ10

If anyone knows what command I could run to force this hardware
detection to occur after bootup, I'd be grateful. I could then write a
script to load the module and run ifconfig with no need to physically
handle the card.

Thank you and best regards,
Robert