Knoppix 3.7 and old sound problems

On 20 Sep 2004  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:

> Below is the letter I tried to post when the list was not active. It concerned
> Knoppix 3.6, kernel 2.6.7 and OSS. With Knoppix 3.7 the situation is the same.

The official 3.7 also behaves in the same way.

> On 25 Aug 2004  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:
>
> > To make a long story short:
> >
> > When I start xawtv, I hear only white noise; I can change its volume
> > with xaumixer.
> >
> > When I start radio, the sound is OK (sometimes it is the sound of a TV
> > station, the frequency displayed is 407.25)
> >
> > When I start xawtv again, the sound is OK!
> >
> > This is a new aspect of an old problem, which I reported in various
> > ways, cf. e.g.
> >
> >         http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=231288.
>
> I also tried to boot Knoppix with ALSA, but I stumbled at the very
> beginning: alsamixer reports an error, KMix also doesn't seem to work.

What might be interesting, such Knoppix derivates as Oralux has to be
booted with alsa option on my computer, and the sound is then OK.

Still looking for your suggestion.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)