Re: [debian-knoppix] Home directory and MIcrosoft Windows NT

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 09:47:23AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> I understand that all forms of Linux have trouble with writing to a Windows NT
> partition as is usually found on Windows XP machines.  I also understand that
> one can set up a separate partition with parted and use that instead.
>
> Can Knoppix establish and use a persistent home directory on a Windows NT disk

I think You answer that yourself in the preceding paragraph: no (easy)
writing, hence not a useful $HOME in the common sense, on a NTFS partition.

> partition without repartitioning the disk? Many non-techie users are
> reluctant to repartition or in general mess with their Windows partition.

The simplest answer these days may be to use a USB memory device. Knoppix
configuration can be written to these, and retrieved at a later date for
another session, quite easily.

Read-only access from Windows 2000 / XP is still not a bad solution for some
things -- see for example my little HOWTO on booting the 2gb Quantian iso
directly from the Windows bootloader:

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian/howto_winnocd.html

Hope this helps, Dirk

--
If you don't go with R now, you will someday.
  -- David Kane on r-sig-finance, 30 Nov 2004