Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix Start Localized

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:31:07PM -0800, D russel wrote:

> --- Fred - Knoppix-Fr <fred.knoppixfr@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know that for the remaster
> > of Knoppix called Evinux
> > (http://evinux.org in French), I have modified some
> > of the script that enable
> > knoppix to boot to write localized messages instead
> > of english ones.
> >
> > So I send you all the files if modified in next
> > mails.
> >
> > Hope it could be usefull to some of you.
>
> Have these scripts not already locale support?

Kind of, with a "case $LANGUAGE in ... esac" construct.  Originally, I wanted
to keep all the system messages (autoconfig, init scripts) just in english. Few
people read them anyways, and those who do are more familiar with the english
meaning of system messages than with a sometimes funny sounding german or
french translation ("gebrochene Pfeife"...).

> Although it seems like a good idea, will Klaus merge
> them with the original ones?

At the moment not very likely, sorry, because localized messages don't really
make the scripts more efficient, and it is difficult to keep all langages in
sync in case of changes.

But thanks for your effort and idea, maybe we can use it in some of the Knoppix
derivates later, too.