Re: [debian-knoppix] default boot options

No problem with doing this. Don't forget that users could become confused as they could be loading a home or config they now nothing about (if someone else has used the computer).

What I did was just edit knoppix-autoconfig so that scan is the default for home and config. Then I also added an option to pickup the none as you mention so people can turn it off. I mainly did this as there was a problem with the kernel command line on 2.6 which may now be fixed (?) and adding the options through the bootloader meant people would have less options available at boot. Either way you do it (if I remember correctly) either the user input option as opposed to the default of scan, or the last option entered on the command line (i.e. the one they input as opposed to the one the boot loader added) will be used so it should work fine (unless I'm remembering wrong on how the command line is constructed and parsed).

Now if you want to make splash the default aswell, you should ensure that somewhere it checks you have a framebuffer before running it (or you get loads of errors about no framebuffer til you hit a key to kill the splash).

Niall

Yann Cochard wrote:

Hello,

Is there any problem to put the knoppix cheatcodes config=scan and home=scan as default ? I would like to do this for a remaster, and it is a frequent request from users. If it is possible, they should be overwritten by anything entered by the user at boot, i.e. if the user put home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img, then there is no need to scan. And also, there should be something accepted, such as home=none and config=none to have Knoppix starting without anything.

What do you think?
I am subscribed to this list since several months and did not see this topic discussed.

Thanks
Yann.