[debian-knoppix] USB pens: bootability and knoppix compatibility

Having searched the net for some time, I still lack answers
to a couple of questions:

1)  Numerous USB pens are labeled as "bootable".  Others are not.
    Is bootability an intrinsic function of the USB pen?

    I thought it was only a question of how it is formated,
    what software I install on it, and whether my computer BIOS
    can manage booting from a USB device.  Can someone clarify
    the situation for me?

2)  There are many reports that describe how you must fdisk your
    USB pen and possibly reformat it to get it to work with Linux.
    Has anyone made a list of pens that work "out of the box"
    with Knoppix---no partitioning or mounting necessary?

    My target audience for this question are GUI Knoppix users
    who do not want to mount anything.  I want to know which
    USB pens I should recommend to them.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Conrad