Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix from scratch

So IMO there should be a script that knoppifies the
kernel too. e.g. downloading source, apply knoppix
patches, build the new kernel. build necessary modules
like loop cloop and others.

IMHO doing this via script doesn't make sense. What happens if an error occurs? I can almost guarantee an error when compiling the kernel. What about changes between kernels? How would a script handle those? IMHO it is very easy to patch and compile the kernel.

Here is what I did when I moved to 2.6.7 in my from scratch.
Got, untarred and symlinked in usual place.
cd linux
patch -p1 < ../knoppix-kernel26.patch
Applied other patches that I wanted to include....
cp /boot/config-2.6.5 .config
make oldconfig
Answered yes,no or module to the changes between the kernels.
make menuconfig to further customize(i586 instead of i386, etc)
cd ..
make

I did encounter a few errors with modules not compiling, but once I resolved these, make built the kernel debs! Then following the HOWTO, I replaced the kernel and modules in miniroot. The only tricky part here is all the modules end in .o instead of .ko as one would expect for 2.6.x. Not a biggie, just copy the modules over the current ones. Much thanks to Klaus, Fabian and all that have contributed to this AWESOME project.

Regards,
Cecil