Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix from scratch

Le mar 27/07/2004 à 00:38, mark everton a écrit :
> --- mammique <mammique@lamenagerie.com> wrote:
> > Le lun 26/07/2004  22:31, mark everton a crit :
> > > --- Fabian Franz <FabianFranz@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > And what about the kernel.
> > > Doesn't need to be patched ?
> >
> > I think yes, we should install
> >
> http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386/kernel-image-2.4.26_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
> >
> > > And should we not build loop, cloop, knx*
> > packages?
> > >

> I am against using knopper's kernel, not because it's
> bad or wrong. but by saying "From Scratch " we all
> should be able to build it from standard debian .deb
> files. Sure they must be patched and the are some
> knoppix .debs that need to be used. But the kernel is
> one of the most important things if u want to build a
> knoppified system.
> So IMO there should be a script that knoppifies the
> kernel too. e.g. downloading source, apply knoppix
> patches, build the new kernel. build necessary modules
> like loop cloop and others.

Ha ? IMHO no. The goal is to build a knoppix system from minimal things,
downloading debian's kernel sources, patching and compiling (long time)
to finaly get the same kernel-image-2.4.26_10.00.Custom_i386.deb as
knopper's one is a - IMHO - waste of time. Advantages of scratch knoppix
base, is minimal system, less bandwith, less wasted time, & less cpu
usage. This way it is not, kernel compiling in _very_ uselfull &
intersting, but should be an option instead of an obligation.

IMHO, once again.

Best regards.

Camille.