Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Knoppix from scratch

--- Cecil Watson <cwatson@linkline.com> wrote:

> IMHO doing this via script doesn't make sense.  What
> happens if an error
> occurs?  I can almost guarantee an error when
> compiling the kernel.

Well than the script just stops :P

> What about changes between kernels?  How would a
> script handle those?
> IMHO it is very easy to patch and compile the
> kernel.
>
> Here is what I did when I moved to 2.6.7 in my from
> scratch.
> Got, untarred and symlinked in usual place.
> cd linux
> patch -p1 < ../knoppix-kernel26.patch
> Applied other patches that I wanted to include....
> cp /boot/config-2.6.5 .config
> make oldconfig
> Answered yes,no or module to the changes between the
> kernels.
> make menuconfig to further customize(i586 instead of
> i386, etc)
> cd ..
> make

What we really need then is an howto to explain how to
make a knoppified kernel from a standard debian
kernel.
Something like you said above. But with a little more
detail. Also on how to compile cloop loop and other
essential modules.
I for example can't compile the loop-aes module.
Anyway I think you get my point.
The rest (on how to replace a kernel is already
covered  by a howto on knoppix.net

> I did encounter a few errors with modules not
> compiling, but once I
> resolved these, make built the kernel debs!  Then
> following the HOWTO, I
> replaced the kernel and modules in miniroot.  The
> only tricky part here
> is all the modules end in .o instead of .ko as one
> would expect for
> 2.6.x.  Not a biggie, just copy the modules over the
> current ones.

How did you solve those problems. Would be nice if you
shared your experience with us.

Thanks again