[debian-knoppix] 3.4 missing CUPS printing drivers?

Subject:
[debian-knoppix] 3.4 missing CUPS printing drivers?
From:
"airplays55@yahoo.com" <airplays55@yahoo.com>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:12:37 -0700 (PDT)
To:
debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org

To:
debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org

I think that knoppix 3.4 is missing (and needs) the
CUPS printing drivers and functionality that knoppix
3.3 contained.

I know of no other reason why my standard EPSON
printer works on 3.3 but not on 3.4.  On 3.3 (live cD,
no HD), I was able to easily configure and use the
printer after starting the cupsd daemon.  3.4 does not
include the required cups driver.  I could not get the
printer working When I tried the foomatic drivers in
3.4, or even when I copied the ppd file from 3.3 to
3.4.
This is my experience as well.

To support my claim that the drivers are MISSING from
3.4, I see that knoppix 3.3 has 198 cups driver file
(with ppd.gz extension) in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model/gimp-print  however
knoppix 3.4 only has 16 uncompressed ppd files in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model, and no gimp-print
subdirectory containing compressed ppd files.

Does anybody know why those files are missing?
I am getting soem help with this offline -- I'l let you know when I have a resolution.

Chris