[debian-knoppix] knoppix first-timer can't print

I have installed knoppix 3.4 to my hard drive for the first time. Looks like the answer to my prayers (i.e. sound works out-of-the-box). There are not many choices when installing to the hard drive (via sudo knoppix-installer) so I couldn't choose to install cups. However, the installer did advise that "kdm cupsysd will start with each boot". Alas, I can't print.

When I open 'Configure-Printing Manager' I get 'Initializing Manager..' then:

Error - KDE Control Module
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received for manager. Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server correctly installed and is running. Error: conection refused.

Trying to restart the Print Server I get:

Error - KDE Control Module
Unable to restart print server. Error message received for manager: Unable to find a running CUPS server.

Any ideas for steps to troubleshoot this? I read the man page for cupsd -- it's short and no help for this. My printer is a new-ish epson stylus c84.

At one point I was actually able to create the icon for my printer (correctly detected) -- but it disappeared without doing a successful test print.

I have done a successful printer self-test -- that rules out the printer as the problem.

I did a cupsd as root -- it gave no error, and allowed me to create a printer icon, which is good, but still I can't print. the jobs do not appear under Jobs.

Chris