[debian-knoppix] RE: HDD Installation / Customization

Quick question - do you have to mess about with permissions when you
copy back your old home to a new install?

-----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:59:16 -0400
From: Ian Soutar <soutar@horizon.bc.ca>
To: debian-knoppix@linuxtag.org
Subject: [debian-knoppix] Re: debian-knoppix digest, Vol 1 #934 - 1 msg

It is easy to get knoppix to run from the hard drive.   Just boot the CD

and type in a root shell "knoppix-installer".

This will come up with a menu.

1/ Run the setup.
2/ Run the install ...
3/ Bingo you have a Debian system on your HD.

Customizing it.
1/ Run the setup to create a config file.
2/ Save configuration to a file in your home directory.
3/ Go to the home directory and modify it as desired.   For example you
can change to reiser file system,  no formatting ... different drive
mapping such as a whole partition just for /home.   It is well
documented ... the configuration script is really well commented. 4/ Go
back to the knoppix-installer program and load your new configuration.
5/ Run the install. 6/ You will now boot to a customized Debian.

Works great either way.    The computer I am typing on is a Debian
custom created from a knoppix disk.   I use the knoppix disk to maintain

it.   If there is a problem I just save my home directory to an external

serial drive.   Then I run the knoppix disk and re-install it.   It only

takes 20 minutes.   Then put my home directory back.   Easy.

Ian.

This email communication is confidential and is intended solely for whom it is addressed. Copying, or re-using in any way by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of GL TRADE or any of its affiliates.

If you have received this mail in error, please destroy the copy in your possession and notify abuse@gltrade.com