[debian-knoppix] Tried my wi-fi card with other Linux releases

I tried my wi-fi card with other live Linux CDs which I knew were more current than Knoppix 3.3.  Both Suse Live Eval 9.1 and MandrakeMove correctly identified the wi-fi card, but neither started the card scanning for a connection.  There are two lights on the card.  The ACT light comes on OK.  The LINK light stays off.  When I run the card under Windows XP, ACT light is on, LINK light blinks.  Is this normal behavior?  I really need to find a way to get online with Linux.  Dialup just doesn't work.