Re: [debian-knoppix] Install 3.4 on RAID0

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:36:39PM -0400, Dave Creamer wrote:
> Oops. I didn't realize sending in HTML format would cause a problem.
> Text only from now on. Thanks Marco for letting me know.
> Decream
>
> >To install Knoppix 3.4 on a RAID0 set do I need to enter a command
> >before installing? Thanks in advance from another newbie.
> >Decream

Now you're ok.
I've successfully installed Knoppix 3.3 (italian version of, eduknoppix)
on a raid 1 ide pair of disks.
It was not so easy to do.
- I've installed knoppix on a disk (ext2/3 if you want quota working).
- Installed a standard debian kernel (it is necessary if you want to
  use the debian's mkinitrd) because of cramfs statically compiled in.
- Then booted from cd
- created a raid1 device with the first disk set faulty
- mounted the raid dev on a temp dir and copied into the entire
  installed disk 1
- chroot on the raid disk, mkinitrd to create an image with the correct
  mdadm line in the init script
- configured lilo to start from raid and run lilo
- reboot
- raidhotadd the faulty disk (best if you have udma starded or it means
  hours to wait for it to complete...)
- re-run of mkinitrd and re-run of lilo

I'm very interested to know an alternative method without using a
standard debian kernel.

raid 1 ok!

I don't know how to do the same thing with raid 0 without an extra 3rd
disk. Perhaps the best compromise is to create a small root dev
on which mount the /usr /var /home in raid 0

Forgive my bad english.

--
"Knowledge is knowing a street is one way.
Wisdom is still looking in both directions."

Marco Ciampa