Re: [debian-knoppix] Include kommander for GUI frontends

Hallo,

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 04:35:43AM -0600, probono wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I suggest the inclusion of kommander, the easy grahical KDE dialogs
> > engine (sid package kommander).
> > http://quanta.sourceforge.net/main2.php?snapfile=snap02
> >
> > This would allow us to generate nice graphical interfaces for
> > commandline tools (such as Kurumin has for qemu, for example,
> > http://www.guiadohardware.net/kurumin/screenshots/kurumin-3.0qemu.png).
> >
> > I know space is limited and this is about 2.5MB, but having
> > kmdr-executor part of standard Knoppix would be extremely useful for
> > creating beginner-proof interfaces for Knoppix. Users could
> > contribute and share these.
> >
> > At a side not, if you need something to remove, kstars can be easily
> > live-installed using klik (and it's really big).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > probono
>
> Does kommander have a syntax-compatible shell dialog equivalent, like
> Xdialog/dialog?

No, it is different! It uses XML as native fileformat and needs an
interpreter of it's own! (kmdr-executor). It has many advanced widgets
like an editor (just bold,italic,underline and right-, middel or right
justified), a tree, a tab-widget and the usual stuff. It looks like a
4GL Tool. I had some problems with stability and I cannot read the
manuals, but version 1.0 should come soon.

> What is the advantage of kommander as opposed to Xdialog?
Complex GUI's could be created, with several widgets on one canvas. If I
could find out how it works, it is may be an interesting tool!

Regards

Achim

> Regards
> -Klaus Knopper