[debian-knoppix] RE: bootfrom option

Would it be possible / is it planned to add a "bootfrom firewire/usb
drive" option?

I realise that this is reasonably complicated...
(currently with a 2.4 kernel I boot a Knoppix CD with the option
"knoppix single", do a sudo su, check the firewire modules are loaded,
scan the scsi bus, make a /mnt/new_root, mount a firewire partition
there, cd, do a pivot_root, mount /proc then swap, and finally switch to
run level 5;  things are slightly easier with a 2.6 kernel).
...and that it's peripheral to the aims of Knoppix (as I understand
them), but I think it would be a pretty popular boot option (from what I
see in the forums).  And it would allow users to carry around a portable
hard drive containing *their* system (with home, all apps etc) that they
could then boot off almost any PC.

Otherwise, in general terms what would I have to modify to create a
custom Knoppix image that did the above (e.g. without a boot option, the
CD would automatically mount my firewire drive and do a pivot_root etc;
with a boot option I could get the CD to boot *normally*)?  Is it mainly
editing linuxrc?

About 12-18 months ago I did try to create a custom initrd (via
pcinitrd) to do just this but failed miserably.  And then I discovered
Knoppix :)  And then I discovered this alternative booting method so I
can run Knoppix/Debian off an external hard drive :))

Cheers

Chris