Re: [debian-knoppix] XP won't boot after knoppix 3.4 hdinstall

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 11:03:20AM -0400, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Using /dev/hda
> Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/hda is
> 77545/16/63.  Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 503.999M.
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-38166.679 megabytes
> Disk label type: msdos
> Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
> 1          0.031  32000.062  primary   fat32       boot, lba
> 2      32000.062  37999.828  primary   ext3
> 3      37999.828  38166.187  primary   linux-swap
> (parted)
>
> As far as I understand the /dev/hda1 partition should be used by
> install-mbr, (but it won't as I learned)

No, the MBR is not on a partition. Its at the beginnnig of the harddisk
and can contain boot loaders that access the following partitions.
If the MBR is empty, the BIOS of your computer usually boots from the
first partition marked as "bootable". That is the flag "boot" in the
output of parted.

But should the partition type of Windows XP not be something like "NTFS"
instead of "fat32"? Maybe that is a problem for the bootloader of
Windows?

> Can you give some advice?

Me: Unfortunately no, I am not familiar with Windows.

> I also ran lilo once in the harddisk install
> before mailing to the list -- as I thought that might help (but it
> didn't :-/ ) but that shouldn't make any difference should it

Lilo can install a bootloader in the MBR that accesses the bootrecord of
the Windows partition, yes. You should check for an antry that says

other=/dev/hda1
	label="Windows"

or similar, in /etc/lilo.conf.