Re: [debian-knoppix] XP won't boot after knoppix 3.4 hdinstall

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:48:50PM -0400, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello,
> Today, I decided to do a harddisk install of knoppix; Everything went
> well (including repartitioning using parted (before running the install
> script) and qparted (during the install)
> There's one problem: the knoppix install script install in mbr but it
> seems XP has a problem with this -- when I choose XP in the boot (lilo?)
> menu, it cleans the screen and only says, "Loading Windows(hda1)" -- and
> nothing happens
> Other than doing a new XP install (including the backup that'd
> requires), is there a way to fix this?

You can revert to a more or less univesal Master boot record by issuing

install-mbr /dev/hda

from a running Knoppix as root. Unfortunately this will disable the
possibility of dual-booting Linux comfortably, but the standard
bootloader from install-mbr will just use the first bootable partition,
which is, probably, your old windows XP partition, if it is still there.

You can try to install the Linux bootloader to the Linux root partition
(it's an option in the installer) instead of the MBR, and put an entry
for it in the bootmenu of Windows. For the latter, I cannot be of much
help, since I have no idea how the Windows boot loader works. But
Windows users are telling me it works fine that way, if you figure out
how to configure it in Windows.

-Klaus Knopper