[debian-knoppix] /boot/initrd

I've read a few earlier posts about this file but can't seem to find an
answer to the question on how does one recreate it?

It seems as though I, as well as a few others, would like to know how
the /boot/initrd file created for the knoppix kernels.  It appears as
though it's not through using the 'mkinitrd' command.

/boot/initrd looks like a small ext2 image that can be mounted as
loopback that basically contains device files and kernel modules for
hardware detected during the knx-hdinstall process.

I would like to create one custom kernel that I can use across all of my
machines and build the network interface and SCSI controller drivers in
as modules.  The "knoppix way" of determining what devices exist and
dynamically creating /boot/initrd seems to be an ideal way to achieve
this.

Thanx,

Hans