[debian-knoppix] Re:Knoppix Hdd install

The hard disk installation will offer to make your partition for you. You
might also use PartitionMagic under the XP. I wish all software were this
good. BootMagic comes with it and will handle the dual boot for you as well.
This software does costs but worth every penny. I recommend using ext3 or
other journaled file system. ParitionMagic will "recommend" ext2.)

You might alternatively try the qtparted from the Knoppix CD. This is a linux
knockoff of PartitionMagic. I suppose since you are operating on an
unallocated area rather than playing around with existing partitions, it
should be just fine. (I am scared of these things.)

Be sure to make a swap partition, 2x your RAM?, as well!

Note that Knoppix will install into the one big partition you make here. This
is how I did it--whether the hdd install will suggest/permit multiple
partitions (the better way!!) I do not know (a real Debian installer will ask
about these things but aint for the faint of heart). We both may have to move
things around later on to get a safer, more orthodox system, but it is not
hard to do. Knoppix gets you up and running with a minimum of fuss. Then
start learning Debian and upgrade the distribution.