Re: [debian-knoppix] H E L P ! ! ! !

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 02:09 pm, Ruzzo, Bob wrote:

> ....the OS
> finally cameup with a LOGON screen....there were 2 choices to logon as
> either KNOPPIX USER or ROOT.....I had already set my passwords for ROOT
> and for KNOPPIX USER.....But I CAN"T LOG ON TO EITHER CHOICES!!!!

Try knoppix and root as passwords. I think the HD install goes back to
defaults. Then reset them after you get KDE running. I'm new to Knoppix,
less than three weeks, so I could be totally wrong.

>On Wednesday 18 February 2004 02:29 pm, Nicholas Vettese wrote:

>Linux has a minimum of three partitions because it is easier to have the
>kernel in one partition, swap in another, and then all your software and
>files in the last.  Unlike Windows, where everything is put into one big
>partition, so that when one file goes, your computer becomes useless.  You
>can also add other partitions such as: /usr, /home, /var, /usr/local, etc...,
>which can eliminate many problems if corruption does occur.

We seem to be using different terminology. I have two distributions
of Linux, each in its own partition, plus a swap partition that both
use.

hda       vfat    2.1 GB Win98

hdb1      vfat   62.5 GB WinXP
hdb2      swap    0.5 GB linux swap
hdb3      ext3    5.5 GB Debian
hdb4      ext3   10.5 GB Mandrake

sda       vfat    1.2 GB key drive

I call /usr and /home 'files' within /hdb3, one partition, and /usr and
/home 'files' within /hdb4, another partition. I'm new to Linux, too, about
two months, so I don't all the lingo yet. When the partition goes, then
everything in that partition goes, but in Linux recovery of the whole
partition seems rather easy. I've messed up the boot sectors in Debian
and Mandrake both but got everything back using a rescue floppy to boot
and rewrite them.

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 05:04 pm, snookertb wrote:
> Is there a way to install Knoppix and end up with a standard Debian
> testing version?

For the testing version, just set the repositories to testing, and use
Synaptic or apt-get dist-upgrade.

I used Knoppix to install Debian. I deleted the Knoppix stuff, and used
Synaptic to do a "smart upgrade" to pure Sid. Actually, most was down-
grading, not upgrading. Knoppix makes an excellent Debian installer, but
I have no use for a live CD. For those who do, Knoppix is the best live
CD I've seen. And, it's one of the easiest installers for Debian.

Remember, I've been with Knoppix three weeks, Linux two months. I could
be wrong.

Dick