Re: [debian-knoppix] Some KNOPPIX glitches

Hi Zakaria,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:04:38 +0700, Zakaria wrote:

> 1. It can't run lilo from chroot
>    # mount /mnt/hda3
>    # chroot /mnt/hda3
>    # lilo
>    Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

This is not a bug. If you say
  mount /mnt/hda3
the partition gets mounted using the options from /etc/fstab, including
"nodev" which disables the usage of device nodes on the partition
(security feature).

If you want to run a chrooted lilo on that partition, you must mount it
using the complete mount command line
  mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
This overrides the options in the fstab entry.

> 2. Why there is only 4 virtual terminal instead of 6 like other distro?

Because normally you don't need more? Of course you can edit
/etc/inittab and run "init q" to get more virtual terminals after booting
Knoppix.

> 3. Why we couldn't access KNOPPIX menu from icewm, fluxbox, Window Maker
>    and xfwm? (everything but KDE :)

I don't have KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN, so I cannot check this.
Versions 3.2 2003-06-06 and 3.3 2003-09-24 include the KNOPPIX menu in
other window managers, not just KDE.

> 4. Given a running KNOPPIX how we determine the version?
>    Something like /etc/redhat-release or /etc/debian_version
>    hopefully something like 3.3-2003-11-19

mkdir -p /mnt/loop
mount -o loop,ro /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /mnt/loop
cat /mnt/loop/boot.msg
umount /mnt/loop

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                    chris AT linuxinfotag.de
Grunaer Str. 31                                    http://silmor.de/~chris/