[debian-knoppix] Some suggestions for debian-knoppix

I love your distribution, it is really great. Here are some things I thought of that might be of value.

1) Build in NDISWrapper into your kernel.

This would be of major benefit to laptop users o the newbie variety. While I'm not fond of proprietary drivers, I think that allowing the person to migrate to linux easily is probably more valuable in the long run.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/

2) Add testzilla-client to the distribution

This would mostly be for the benefit of the wider debian distribution to find out what hardware is and is not supported. Have people pop knoppix into every box they come across, and send in a quick report on the hardware support.

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/vogels/TestZilla/Report/functionality.htm

3)  Allow usage of currently installed boot managers

Your install of the boot manager works great (the auto adding of the other partitions is really appreciated), but it would be nice to be able to instead use the Windows boot manager or add to a currently installed grub. This article describes the methods for using the windows bootloader for loading linux. (may or may not be more effort than its worth).

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/12/1.php

4)  Instructions for preinstall

I'd be happy to write a howto for this for NTFS and FAT partitioned drives, if you are willing to include it. Most of the howto's I've seen skip a few important details. Also, there likely should be a mention in the current docs that lilo no longer has the limits to 10 GB for the first partition.

5) Automatic changes to the debian installer config to point at the correct mirrors.

You might consider updating the apt sources list based on the persons timezone information.

Okay, I guess that's all of my comments for now, thanks for the wonderful distro.

Quick question, do you have someone that checks the inbox for nonsubscribed posters? I sent a similar email prior to subscribing, and apparently it is still in the submission queue.

Tom M.