[debian-knoppix] New User Questions

I've downloaded, installed, and configured Knoppix to the point where I'm
*very* happy with the install, and things took less time to reach that
point than with any of the other distributions that I've used.  (SuSE,
Fedora Core 1, Red Hat 9, Mandrake, Gentoo, FreeBSD, and probably one or
two others that I'm forgetting.)

But there are a few things that I'm wondering about/would like to change
that I don't see in the various FAQs/Documentation.

1>  Knoppix is based on Debian.  Which branch of Debian is it based on?
Ideally I'd like to keep everything on the "stable" branch, and was more
than a bit surprised that I needed to use other branches to get gnome
installed.  (I've since reverted my sources.list file to be just the
stable branch.)

2>  When I type "ftp <machine name>" from a command prompt, it defaults to
using lftp.  To test some things out, I'd rather use just ftp.
Uninstalling lftp leaves me without a ftp command, even after I de-install
and re-install the ftp package.  Any ideas on how to get the ftp command
back?

3>  Minor point, but I see that Knoppix likes to use a transparent
background.  (As shown when you click on the K-Menu icon.)  Any thoughts
on how to get this back to a solid background?  (It's easy enough to
change in the default shell program though.  So that's not an issue.)

4>  I'd like to have the ability to create VCDs.  In theory, k3b has this
ability, but some of the programs that it needs to do so are lacking.  I
can't find those programs using apt-cache search/info.  Any thoughts as to
where I should be looking?  By the same token, k3b seems to be lacking the
ability to clone CDs.  It can copy CDs, but that doesn't work unless you
have SCSI emulation turned on for both drives.  I'd rather avoid that...
So, is there an upgrade for k3b available, or am I missing something more
basic?  Should I be using the unstable branch instead?

Thanks in advance!

Krikket