Re: [debian-knoppix] Compiler version used to compile kernel

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 06:47:00AM +0200, Eaden McKee wrote:
> Hi there,
> What version of GCC has been used to compile the Knoppix kernel?
> On DVD-Beta-1 gcc is a symlink to gcc-3.3 which it seems can't compile
> linux-2.4.20 with the knoppix .config, so I am guessing you have used a
> different complier version.

Yes, definitely. AFAIK, gcc-3.3 just can't compile the Kernel because of
a lot of "internal compiler errors". I'm using gcc-2.95 (for the module
packages as well), you should change this in the Makefile.

> Maybe it might be an idea to symlink gcc to a more stable compiler on the DVD?

gcc-3.3 should be fine, and optimizes well, it's just unusable for the
Kernel sources (which may rather be a problem of the kernel sources than
of gcc).