Re: [debian-knoppix] kdelibs4-dev

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 03:50:03PM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> 	I recently installed Knoppix to my HD (I believe it was 20030428) and
> upgraded KDE to 3.1.2. In the process, it uninstalled kdelibs4-dev. Now, a
> couple of weeks later, I want to compile some KDE programs, but the KDE dev
> libs are obviously not available. When I try 'apt-get install kdelibs4-dev",
> I get the following message:
>
> kdelibs4-dev: Depends: xlibs-pic but it is not going to be installed
>
> Trying to install xlibs-pic, I get this message:
>
> xlibs-pic: Depends: xlibs (= 4.2.1-8) but 4.3.0-0ds4 is to be installed
>
> There was a thread earlier this month on Debian-KDE as to why this particular
> dependency exists, and apparently the only way around it is to downgrade to
> X4.2. How does Knoppix get around this dependency? Is it safe to just tell
> apt-get to ignore dependencies?

Unfortunately, apt-get is a very stupid program in many ways.

I had posted a "HOWTO install XFree 4.3 and kdelib4-dev" some weeks ago,
you may want to check the debian-knoppix archives for this.

If there is a way to automatically fix the wrong dependencies from
apt-get without breaking stuff, I have missed it.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org