Re: [debian-knoppix] Updating a hard drive install

Hallo Jason,

I have been working on this problem some time ago and I have written a script that works over the network, still.

It needs 2 computers, one running a new KNOPPIX from CD, one an old hd-installed knoppix. The CD-KNOPPIX computer with 720 MB free diskspace becomes a ftp-server with dpkg-repack. The old Knoppix points its apt/sources.list to the CD-KNOPPIX-ftp server and performs an apt-get update/upgrade.

But the script still runs into trouble when the old and new kernel versions differ:-((. I have to handle a kernel update separatly, probably with tar.

I have recently made some modifications to my script, but I have not tested it yet, so I don't want to publish it, because it will ruin your existing installation:-((

The script must be extended to work without ftp-server, too.

I would like to know, if it might be useful for your problem, and, maybe someones could provide some useful tips. On question is, can a kernel update be performed with apt-get? Another concerns the "GLIB-problem". I noticed that KNOPPIX and DEBIAN uses different libs, that can not be mixed. Is there an URL explaining the problem?

Have a nice day:-))

Achim

--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course!
from: http://humorix.org/slogans.shtml

eMail    :     Achim.Unger@web.de
Homepage : www.Ing-Buero-Unger.de