Re: [debian-knoppix] Software recommendations for LinuxTag DVD edition?

Scott Patterson wrote:

After sitting on the sidelines for awhile, I'm scratching my head on this one. If Knoppix is a bootable _LINUX_ distribution (Live CD), what place does Windows software have on it?

It has a place.
Scenario:

I have an old 500Mhz desktop that I can put to any use. I have a laptop that work issued from my place of work--a laptop where suspend mode works, so it runs work stuff (Excel, Word, Mozilla with 10 open windows to various page for data on project) for 10+ days without a reboot. Shutting down this machine just to play with Knoppix is not an option, and with an NTFS file system I wouldn't be able to interact with the machine flexibly enough anyway..

OK, now I want to play with knoppix. This CDROM boots on my desktop, cool. Lots of nice stuff. But how do I make use of it from the work laptop? Booting from the Knoppix CDROM is not a solution(per my requirements). Reading files off the CDROM (per Klaus's suggestion) is not workable, as I then have to shutdown the desktop or have a CDROM for every client. If I could connect to the Knoppix box offering a share of the <CDROM>/windows_software and install TightVNC client on my laptop I would be up and rolling right away.

The story gets even better if you have a classroom full of machines, and you're not ready to go the full Linux Terminal Server approach... Have each of the students install putty or a VNC client--and you're off.

I think the trick is not to let the list grow large AT ALL. I would shorten my initial list to:

remote login: putty or terraterm
remote GUI: tightVNC (client is compatible with older VNC server)
file transer: WinSCP (GUI file transfer via ssh)
resources: an HTML file listing many sources for Open Source software

Alan