Re: [debian-knoppix] beating ghost

Nathaniel Sbar schrieb:

> I need some help to justify the use of GPL'd software
> to my supervisor in the replacement of Norton Ghost.
> So far, I've used UDPcast and by itself, it does a
> wonderful job.  The problem is that sometimes, we need
> to save an image of a hard drive instead of just
> copying one hard drive to another.  We can't use the
> network, so to facilitate this, we purchased an
> external USB 2.0 hard drive.  I connected the external
> drive, booted off the Knoppix CD, build 2003-03-30,
> started in runlevel 2, and made the following series
> of commands.
>
> - modprobe ehci-hcd
> - mount /dev/sdb
> - dd if=/dev/hda | lzop > /mnt/sdb/test.lzo
>
> OK, I might have thrown a cd or ls in there, but these
> are the important commands.  The process worked, but
> after about an hour of waiting, I decided to ^c.
> About 10GB of a 20GB hard drive had been copied so
> far.  This is compared to the same drive being fully
> Ghosted in about 15 minutes to a test.gho file.  Does
> anybody know what I can do to make dd more
> competetive?

Try to turn on dma for hda KNOPPIX doesn't use DMA for default. At least
I have to turn on always DMA manually for the IDE drives. Gives factor
10 the moste times!

Try to check the drive speed with hdparm -t. Maybe you catched up the
wrong USB Port (1.x instead of 2.x). You the system has definitely an
USB 2.x Port?

You can also first blank the unused space with zeroes (files containing
zeroes) and then use bzip2 for compression. This should also give you
some more speed.

Just for comparison:

when I dump an 10GB HDD (2 NTFS Partitions, fragmented, not zeroed,
80%full) this takes about 10 to 12 Minutes, whithout compression!

regards,

yasar