Re: [debian-knoppix] Howto update Knoppix cleanly for re-mastering?

Hallo Klaus,

thank you for your VERY quick response:-))

> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:41:15PM +0200, Achim Unger wrote:
> > Unfortunaty the package loop-aes does not repack. I tried to get it
> > from the internet, but could not google it somewhere. So I looked up
> > the maintainer in the package, it is Klaus Knopper;-)
>
> Yes, I made a package for the loop-aes kernel module (and others, like
> orinoco in the recent release), because the module/kernel packaging
> system of debian looks kind of crazy to me.
>
> > 8<- - - - - - - - - ->8
> > root@ttyp1[mnt]# dpkg-repack --root=/KNOPPIX loop-aes
> > dpkg-repack: File not found: /KNOPPIX/package diverts others to:
> > /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o.distrib
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I see no
> problem with this. Why would a repack of loop-aes require a kernel
> module from a DIFFERENT package to be included? Does not make sense to
> me. Maybe this is a bug in dpkg-repack, or you need an additional
> option?

It looks to me that the system is looking for
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel... after repacking! I have started working
with debian in January, so I do not have much experience with apt/dpkg.
dpkg-repack does not have many options, but dpkg has millions :-() (I
don't yet know wether to smile or break out in tears about this.)

PROBLEM SOLVED: I am using a debian-system and chroot to an unpacked
knoppix! But uname -r shows 2.4.20, still :-(( This is used in preinst
of the deb package leading to the following problems:

apt-get upgrade
(Reading database ... 28068 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace loop-aes 1.5b-1 (using
.../loop-aes_1.6i-1_i386.deb) ...
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o to
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o.distrib by loop-aes'
Unpacking replacement loop-aes ...
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep for writing
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 255
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep for writing
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/loop-aes_1.6i-1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 255
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep for writing
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 255
 /var/cache/apt/archives/loop-aes_1.6i-1_i386.deb
#----------------------------------#

> As usual, please check http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/sources/

Funny it has not been found by google. Here are the deb's of the
packages you made. Is it possible to put all
other deb packages from the newest CD there? An update of a
knx-hdinstalled KNOPPIX could be done with apropriate sources.list and
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade! In fact that is what my script should
do, but if the ftp-server is out on the net people do not have to
download the complete CD. Just unpack, update, repack and burn the CD!

Well, just an idea to try to reduce downloadtimes.

Thank you very much for your help!

Greetings

Achim

--
Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course!
from: http://humorix.org/slogans.shtml

eMail    :     Achim.Unger@web.de
Homepage : www.Ing-Buero-Unger.de