Re: [debian-knoppix] Booting Knoppix on oldder hardware?

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:47:50AM -0400, Bill wrote:
> From what I can gather the kernel has been built for 686, not 586, so I get

The Kernel on the download version of KNoppix has been compiled in 368
compatibility mode.

> something about 'Pentium+ tcs instruction required' then a kernel fault.

When/where do you get this error?

> Would it be possible to supply supplying a second kernel for older machines
> on the CD?

The kernel on the CD is compiled to support the VERY OLD machines
starting from i386.

I may remove the FPU emulation support, though, to save some bytes on
the el torito bootfloppy. So, it won't run anymore on a plain i386
without an additional FPU (i486 and up should be OK).

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org