Re: Re: [debian-knoppix] Booting older Hardware with TERMINAL-Server

Hi Jan,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:41:52 +0100, jan.niggemann@bechtle.com wrote:

> >  don't start X normal, but make a 'X -broadcast' or a 'X -query SERVER'
[...]
> What exactly does the "broadcast" option do?
> After booting the FAT client, how exactly would I do that?
> Stop X and restart it with the broadcast option?

Server side
===========

Don't start X automatically (runlevel 2):

boot: knoppix 2

After booting, configure networking (if not already done by dhcp).

Run knoppix-terminalserver if you want to boot the clients over net.

Set password for user knoppix:

echo "knoppix:knoppix" | chpasswd

Check /etc/X11/xdm/{Xaccess,xdm-config,xdm.options}

Run xdm or kdm:

xdm

or

/etc/init.d/kdm start

Client side
===========

Don't start X automatically (runlevel 2):

boot: knoppix 2

After booting, configure networking (if not already done by dhcp) and
start the X server manually:

X -query <ip-address-of-xdm-server>

or

X -broadcast