[debian-knoppix] cannibalizing useful win9x registry for migration to linux

Thank you for the message refering to
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2002-May/000395.html
In short, I have not created these migration tools.
If anyone wants to help, please email me.

I was and am still very interested in the Windows to Linux migration tools.
I am good at research but am not a coder.
The registry keys are easy to locate, but often registry
does not hold all the information that is required.
Passwords in particular are thorny and held elseware.
Windows security dll's have weak security and with proper code
will release the clear text passwords instantaniously.
Decoding other passwords may require bruteforce attacks.
This can take significant amounts of time; minute, hours, or days.
There is a danger that these password finding tools
would be considered a violation of the DMCA.
At the minimum, proving that they are not is an expensive
proposition.

You must be more specific on which settings you need.
PPP network settings
Mail settings
TimeZones (for correct time)
printer settings

Printer would be the easiset. check here
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\(#somepr
inter)]

TimeZones are useful for a bunch of issues...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

Mail settings are hard. Which MUA are you using?
I have outlook express, which has very little useful stuff in the registry.
[HKEY_USERS\(#username)\Identities\{(#somehugenumber)}\Software\Microsoft\Ou
tlook Express\]
this is where I found most info.
The OE account and password data is apparently held in a file elseware
perhaps C:\Windows\(#usersname).pwl
http://www.iopus.com/password_recovery.htm
is a tool that reads the password probably from
C:\Windows\(#usersname).pwl

Network Settings
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0001]
defaut gateways and more, but DHCP should take care of this.

Modem Settings
I dont have a modem in this box. Try this key and links.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Modem\xxxx\]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q250/6/47.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q250/6/48.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q250/6/49.asp

Dial up passwords are held in a file other than the registry.
http://www.iopus.com/password_recovery.htm
is a tool that reads the password, but I have forgotten the files that needs
to be opened.
perhaps C:\Windows\(#usersname).pwl
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/
has a ton of info, search for "password" in text and start reading.

I hope this helps...

-Nathaniel