Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

Christian Perle wrote:
Hi Gilles,
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:16:45 -0500, Gilles Pelletier wrote:

Unfortunately, pretty much all the information on the net about kdx-hdinstall
points to:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html

Not my fault. I am not responsible for documentation written by others. And
I don't have the time to check each and every document which describes
Knoppix harddisk installation.

Anyway, I will send a patched version of the document mentioned above
to the author. But I am only doing this ONCE.

May I suggest the intensive usage of the knoppix documentation wiki.

It is clear that we are not getting anybody involved in maintaining a document if it is a static page and you need to send a diff to the original author of the page.

Here is the wiki: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

Of course the original author need to be contacted to ask permission for copy pasting the original document he made into the wiki. The best thing to do is to state on the wiki where is the original and the name of original author. Also it would be nice for the author to state that his document is updated by the community on the Wiki.

I had negative reaction from knoppixfr that apparently don't want their documentation (french translation or original stuff) to be copy&paste on the wiki (where I started the framework for french translation of FAQ/HOWTO/...).

The argument are:
1) Knoppixfr want to centralise french information
1R] This is protecting your web site

2) Wiki can not garantee the quality of information (since anybody can modify it) R2] Many eyes and many updater make the document converge to the mean opinion on the subject and since it is technical stuff, it is easyer to reach the technical truth.

Related to translation, whatever you do please put a link to the original documentation (with the date of the publication) or even better maintain a local copy of the original you translated.

The main reason is that the original document is moving where the translation is static (this is where wiki help).

David GLAUDE