[debian-knoppix] Minor Problems with Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-11)

Picked up a CD of Knoppix 3.3 (the 2003-11-11 release) recently and am now
trying to finalise a hard-disk install on what started life as an HP
Pavillon 7370V. Basically a 2000Mhz P-II. It currently has 32Mb of memory
but this will increase to 128Mb RSN ("it's in the post").

Although I've done the HD install, fighting with the same cfdisk issues
that several people have encountered, I will do a complete re-install once
the new memory is available. In preparation of that moment I'll pose a few
questions.

There appear to be two video cards in the unit; the first is indentified
as a S3 Virge and the other as a 3dfx card (of some sort). When Knoppix
boots it complains about the MODE setting, which I'll fix in the final
install by hacking the lilo.conf file.

The biggest problem is that whilst the s3virge is okay, panning around a
virtual desktops is very off putting and is doing the actual user's head
in. Thought I could the problem by removing the "virtual screen" options
from XFree86Config-4; except that that option is not specified in there.
Would switching to the framebuffer help stop the panning? (Probably needs
the 128Mb upgrade for FB to be usuable.) I use the frame buffer on my own
workstation and that doesn't need to pan; it also doesn't run Knoppix
but, for the moment, RedHat 6.2.

Might be nice to use the 3dfx card too. I know about xinerama but I'd like
to have the screens be (somewhat) independent of each other. lspci found
the 3dfx but there's nothing in the XFree86Config-4 file for it. Any one
set up multiple video cards for X under Knoppix?

The sound card is specified as "industry compatible 16-bit 3D"! However,
Knoppix does not detect the card at all. After booting any use of the
sndconfig utility causes a seg fault whatever card is selected. I know
there's a sound card in there because (spit) Windoze found it and used it.

One minor irritation is that I set the keyboard up (with kbdconfig) to be
a British keyboard. However, the setting didn't appear to be persistent
across reboots.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!