Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: Playing asx files with Knoppix

On November 23, 2003 03:24 pm, baldyeti wrote:
> Gilles Pelletier wrote:

>  > Well, I'd certainkly like to know. Though Linux-Quebec has been
>  > subverted into  nothingness, I'd do my best to bring the state
>  > television to its senses...
>
> Apparently, the follwing answer I got from one "John" didn't make

Indeed, you can't "run command" mplayer. But Xine is there and the
documentation on http://xinehq.de/index.php/features says:

"Demuxer plugins

These plugins are responsible for understanding file formats like AVI, MOV,
ASF and others. These file formats don't define how video and audio are
encoded but how the encoded data is mixed together (multiplexed). An AVI
file, for example, may have Divx4 video and MP3 audio, MPEG2 video and AC3
audio, etc."

---------

Whether the said plugins are included and where to get them if they're not, I
don't know. The moment I have a minute. I'll take a week or two to sort this
out.

For now, I suggest we don't cram this list with useless discussions. If
anybody can play the .asx files on page:

http://radio-canada.ca/actualite/ZoneLibre/03-11/afghanistan.asp

or any other asx file, for that matter, please provide the URL and inform a
pondering community.

BTW, it seems CUPS doesn't recognize some file's version during boot. I didn't
check but doubt the printer would work in such circumstances. I suppose I'm
not the only one with this problem but, if so, I'll send the complete
message.

Don't be offended if ever it takes time for me to answer: altern's mail server
is often unavailable for long periods of time.

GP