[debian-knoppix] Newbie question

Hi,

I just started exploring KNOPPIX and I have a question that for some of you
may seem really dumb, but for me is not that trivial.

Suppose I have a hard drive with Linux installed and that the partition
information taken from "/etc/fstab" is as follows

/dev/hda2 /home
/dev/hda3 /
/dev/hda4 /usr
/dev/hda7 /swap

Can anyone tell me how "rebuildfstab" will write the hard drive's partition
information into KNOPPIX' "/etc/fstab" when KNOPPIX boots, I mean in what
order?

My problem is as simple as this. I have a program that needs to write a few
things to the hard drive at boot time. Otherwise it won't start. So what I
needed to know is how can I program in a script the partition to which the
script is going to write the files. If I previously knew the hard drive's
partition scheme, it would be easy. But I am planning on bootin KNOPPIX in
several different machines each one with it's own partition scheme.

Thanks in advance

Ricardo