[debian-knoppix] xine

on my old debian sarge i had xine tweaked to death.  it ran perfectly.
with knoppix i can not get sound or audio to run smooth.
i've been going thru the text output trying to figure out what i'm missing on
my knoppix install and the biggest difference i can see is a section that
goes:

Benchmarking  memcpy methods (smaller is better):
	glibc memcpy() : 808866402
	linux kernel memcpy() : 810193943
	mmx optimized memcpy() : 730480625
	mmxext optimized memcpy() : 403178292
	sse optimized memcpy() : 410207760

the output from the debian sarge install has this but the output from the
knoppix install does not.

ideas?
how can i turn it on so that i can compare the two?

thanks