[debian-knoppix] knoppix-installer

Hi,

First of all, I am fairly new here and French so just excuse me for the
mistakes.

This is here my first post shortly after having done my first one in
knoppix.net about the subject :
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4689
which talk about an error while processing the knoppix-installer script.

More over, this is my first attempt of reading and modifying a script but
it seems to have worked for me.

I just send this mail here because Stephen suggest it.

So the error, I get and apparently some others too, is :
> root@ttyp0[knoppix]# knoppix-installer
> Fatal dialog error:
> Xdialog: missing list parameters !
> Xdialog v2.0.6 by Thierry Godefroy <xdialog@free.fr> [...]

I have found 2 ways to avoid it.
Oups I have forgotten to say its the version of the script in the 2003-07-26
knoppix version so seems to be the version 0.1-1 of knoppix-installer by
Fabian

First, on line 325 of the script, I've replaced :
> MEM_SWAP_NEEDED=$((512*1000)) # need some lower so that people that have
> 512 MB can use this option

 by

> MEM_SWAP_NEEDED=$((200*1000))

as I only have this amount of RAM (according to what is written in dmesg)

After this change it seems to work but I did not let it go up to the end

Secondly I wondered why this change allow the script to run and found this :

on line 409 in the function update_swap_parts
>     SWAP_TO_MK=$(diff $TMPDIR/swap1 $TMPDIR/swap2 | grep ">" | sed 's/>
> //g' | awk '{ printf("%s Swap off ",$1) }')

and this command returned nothing so the next one :
>     checklist $"The following swap-partitions are marked as swap, but are
> not yet formatted. Check those you want to format. Warning, you'll loose
> all data on the partition." "Choose partitions to format with swap.
> Warning: You'll loose all your data on it." $SWAP_TO_MK

Return the error presented at the beginning

But if I change line 409 to :
> SWAP_TO_MK=$(diff $TMPDIR/swap1 $TMPDIR/swap2 | grep "<" | sed 's/< //g' |
> awk '{ printf("%s Swap off ",$1) }')

it is the > I change to < (but I do not understand why it works then)
and let the MEM_SWAP_NEEDED to 512 it just worked too

Hope You will be able to understant what I just wrote

Fred
http://thefredsite.free.fr
--
Fro4nix : http://www.fro4nix.org