Re: [debian-knoppix] /dev/root.old

On Friday 05 September 2003 03:14, Cecil Watson wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why /dev/root.old is mounted on /initrd?  Thanks,
Answer:

It is because of the boot process:
During the boot process, the kernel first mounts /initrd.img as root (/) and
loads some modules. After that, the real /-Directory gets mounted at some
mount point.

After that the root get's changed, the initrd root gets moved to initrd, the
intended root get's moved to /.

(first: initrd.img -> / , /dev/ROOT /mnt, /mnt/initrd exists)
(finally: /dev/ROOT gets /, mount of initrd.img is moved to /initrd, I think
pivot_root is used)

I hope I am right otherwise, I hope Mister Franz Fabian can go down to the
details and correct me :-)

Ciao, Matthias Wieser