Re: [debian-knoppix] cloop 1.02 available for testing on SMP machines

Le Vendredi 29 Août 2003 13:41, Klaus Knopper a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> Due to a kernel bug in 2.4.22 *) that almost immediately causes a IO
> freeze on the io request wait queue, I had to work on cloop again.
> Version 1.02 does not use the asynchronous io request wait queue
> anymore, and has been successfully tested on a few single processor
> machines, but I would like to make sure it also works on SMP machines
> (the code currently uses no spinlocks at all).
>
> *) Actually, the bug has been there for a long time, but so far has only
> been observed under high disk io load. Since 2.4.22, the io request
> queue deadlock just appears very fast and reproducible, on all tested
> machines. As far as debugging was possible, the bug is not directly
> related to cloop, but cloop <= 1.02 can trigger it under certain
> circumstances.
>
> If anyone would like to test cloop 1.02 with Kernel 2.4.22 on a SMP
> machine, the source is available here:
>
> http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources/cloop_1.02-1.tar.gz
>
> Recommended test (don't do this on a production machine, and be aware
> that you may have to press the reset button if anything goes wrong):
>
> Let's assume your cloop images are under /tmp/image1...4
>
> 1. Mounting multiple cloop images
>
> insmod cloop
>
> for i in 1 2 3 4; do
> mknod /dev/cloop$i b 240 $i
> losetup /dev/cloop$i /tmp/image$i
> mkdir -p /mnt/cloop$i
> mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cloop$i /mnt/cloop$i
> done
>
> 2. Start the stress-test
> for i in 1 2 3 4; do
> tar cpPf - /mnt/cloop$i | dd of=/dev/null &
> sleep 10
> tar cpPf - /mnt/cloop$i | dd of=/dev/null &
> done
>
> 3. Watch results (dmesg, top)
>
> Looking forward to test results (or hints about missing spinlocking code
> in compressed_loopback.c).
>
> -Klaus Knopper
>
> PS: If you don't understand what any of this means, it does not apply to
> you, and you can safely ignore this mail. ;-)
>
> --
> Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
> knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
> Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
> LinuxTag 2004 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org

Hello

I have the weird BP6 (dual celeron;), with knoppix3.2-2003-07-26
I'm downloading the kernel....
My question is just:
For compiling the kernel, I use the config file from 2.4.21-xfs and
make oldconfig .... etc (its quite long) or is there an already compiled
2.4.22 kernel i could download ? (because I take holydays tonight, far
away from any computers for 10 days :))

Alain