[debian-knoppix] system hangs after logout

Hi,
I just installed Knoppix to the HD. I didn't try many things yet, but some
things seem to work (and some don't, of course).
Just one thing is quite odd: whenever I log out there is some HD-activity, the
knoppix-logoff-sound is played and then the screen goes blank and the computer
doesn't do anything (the control-lamp on the screen blinks, which means there
is no signal). I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  The problem's the
same with user root as with user knoppix.
As I am quite new to Linux I don't really know what to check ( if there is
something).

Tino