[debian-knoppix] NVidia Driver on Knoppix (HD Install) Problem

I've got Knoppix installed on my HD and it's running great! Except, I can't get the new NVidia drivers to load, so I can't use twinview! Knoppix comes with the "nv" driver, but "nvidia" is the driver that supports the full features of the newer nvidia cards (I read).

apt-get install nvidia-glx

Doesn't seem to do the trick, as then X fails (I read and followed all the readmes). Also, apt-get'ing nvidia-glx-source and following the directions in the redadme failed with a nasty dependency loop.

I also tried (according to NVidia's recommendations):

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

After which the script tried to download a precompiled kernel driver (failed) and then compile from kernel source (failed).

I'm running this from a stock Knoppix (7-26) hd install, so I assume others may have had this problem. I noticed Knoppix uses a custom kernel, and I don't think the kernel source is installed, so perhaps that's why nvidia's script fails.

I haven't compiled kernels too much, so am a bit new on that, but I assume someone on the list must have a newer nvidia card and had to go through what I'm trying to do now.

Any tips?

Thanks much
Bob