[debian-knoppix] apt-get update failing on knx-hdinstall'd system

Did the knx-hdinstall from the 06/06 version onto a couple of systems. On
one last week a subsequent "apt-get update" worked fine (which I did in
order to be able to install an additional package) but on the other today I
run into a few errors getting files from a few sites - which I don't think
should have been fatal - followed by:

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing libc6-prof (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp2.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Here I have little sense of what happened, but definitely can't apt-get any
package after this error. There's 512 megs of ram in the system, and it's
not doing much at present, so I'm not sure where "Dynamic MMap" is finding
the reported ceiling.

Whit