[debian-knoppix] Re: Integration of Knoppix in Debian

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Fabian Franz wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 24. Juli 2003 23:41 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> > On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:11:49PM +0200, baldyeti wrote:
> > > According to the linuxtag program as presented in the "news"
> > > section of debian.org, "Integration of Knoppix in Debian" was
> > > the title of a talk given in Karlsruhe. Can someone in the know
> > > shed some light on this? Is the intention to adopt knoppix as
> > > a basis for a future debian installer?
>
> It is the intention to have an debian or debotstrap some system, then to
> knoppify it and burn it on CD.
>
> I'm working on that and will soon upload my first efforts. (At the moment I
> have commercial stuff to do....)
>
> Cleaned like 200 lintian issues.
>
> I'll try to get all packages sponsored into debian, beginning with the
> usefulst.
Back from vacation in Norway I just want to express my thanks to Fabian who
excellently grabbed my idea and is working on their realisation (which I would
fail to do for several reasons).

> It was a very interesting talk and ther can soon be gret things expected ;-).
Thanks for this but it was the worsed prepared talk I ever held. ;-)

> > It certainly won't be the new installer as the installer has to work on all
> > architectures of a release, which was six the last time and maybe a dozen
> > the next time, whereas Knoppix, as we know it, only supports one.
Regarding to Klaus Knopper who joined the workshop at LinuxTag it is just a
matter of exchanging the autodetection library which should be not really hard.
Thus supporting different architectures should be no hard problem.  Quite funny
idea to boot an IBM Z Series server from Knoppix ;-).

> > If I recall, Andreas just wants to make 'making' Knoppix easier based on
> > existing packages, and feed more of Knoppix back into Debian, and what have
> > you.  He leads the debian-med effort and remasters Knoppix, just like I do
> > with Quantian, but as his attentian span in longer than mine, he thinks
> > more deeply about infrastructure and tools.
> >
> > Andreas, please correct me whereever necessary :)
You did a great job in explaining the idea while I was taking a bath in a
Norwegian fjord ... ;-)

Kind regards

        Andreas.