[debian-knoppix] Best boot setting for NEC LCD?

The 06/06 Knoppix results in my NEC MultiSync LCD 1550V giving a "Value out
of range" error (and blank screen) as soon as Knoppix goes into the _text_
section of the boot process (the first screen was okay) - and it never comes
out of that. So far the only setting I've found that avoids that is
"fb800x600" (or however that's put), which doesn't quite make sense to me
since the monitor runs fine at 1024x768, and this isn't a laptop. A version
of Knoppix from six months back works just fine through the whole process,
and KDE comes up at 1024x768, while with the 06/06 version set for frame
buffer 800x600 KDE is only at 800x600. (Frame buffer 1024x768 doesn't work
either.)

Is there some flag to keep just the text mode from going out of range for
this monitor?

Thanks,
Whit