Re: [debian-knoppix] Difference beetween .deb / .tar.gz

On Thursday 17 July 2003 08:14, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are _very_ different.
>
> The .deb is a package for a Debian distribution.
> The .tar.gz is generally a raw source tree.

Well, yes and no. You have x amount of files. You can package them up
as a gzipped tar file and they then can be unpacked on almost any *nix
machine, including all Linuxes, BSD and so on.

You can package them up as an RPM, and they can be unpacked on most
Linux machines, but some, (RedHat and SuSE) will also maintain a record of
what you unpacked so that you can later delete it. (As I understand it Deb
format has similar features.)

As a long time Slackware user I prefer the simple gzipped tar format because
it is universal. But other formats have their advocates. And I am sure some
Debian aficionado will expound on the merits of DEB format if asked.

The sad part is, many people don't realize that you can unpack a gz file on a
Debian machine, unpack an RPM on a Slackware machine etc.

John Culleton