Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: knoppix from hd

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2003 08:13 schrieb lists1:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 03:48 pm, Massimiliano Mirra wrote:
> > "baldyeti" <e_fax_t@hotmail.com> writes:
> > > recent knoppix CD's have the qtparted utility which supposedly
> > > allows one to shrink one such partition, hence freeing space for
> > > whichever other filesystem you need.
> >
> > Tried.  It works.
>
> I was shot down last time I mentioned this, but especially under the above
> example, if you are using a ReiserFS in a partition that you resize, you
> must reboot after the resize, but prior to the installation-reinstallation
> of ReiserFS on the newly sized partition.

Lets shoot again: ;-)

First, the FAQ was last updatet in 2002.

'Messages about "access beyond end of device" may have lots of different
reasons starting from not done reboot after fdisk requested it, unfinished
resizings, data corruptions.'

I think this is part 1 of what you try to tell us, but here fdisk requested
the reboot. If you don't do what the programs tell you, it's your fault. But
who would ignore a message to reboot ?

Note: It does also not appear every time, but only on some specific
combinations ...

"I get attempt to read past the end of the partition error messages; is
ReiserFS corrupted?

You changed your partition sizes, and then before rebooting ran mkreiserfs.
The kernel does not change its belief in what the partition sizes are until
reboot time. (This is fixable, but nobody has fixed it as of Dec.
2001).[...]"

Note: "As of Dec 2001", I don't think this is still an issue as if SuSE fixed
it in their kernels, why shouldn't it be fixed in the vanilla kernel ?
And I think I reparted noticed just the "new" behaviour. (Possible to
repartition the disks and create an filesystem)

"mkreiserfs fails after repartitioning.
The kernel requires you to reboot after repartitioning (for all filesystems).
We intend to fix that.... "

I think that is the same "problem" as part 1. But heh, if it fails then it
possibly can't have data corruption.

> I'm not an expert on this, so check Hans Reiser's site, especially the faq.
> If you don't reboot after the resizing (and keep an original ReiserFS),
> you'll get error messages in your logs at a minimum, and possibly lose data
> where the files system ends prior to, or after the partition end point, as
> ReiserFS still thinks the partition size is the same as the original size.

Have you watched this behaviour with a decent kernel yourself ?

> According to Hans Reiser, the reboot requirement will be gone when the new
> .0 release is out.

Where is this "printed" ?

>[...]
>
> I should get something out on this issue in the next few days.

If there is more, I would be glad ...

So, why do I disagree with you regarding this facts.

1. The FAQ is over one year old!
2. It seems to me that you just read, what you say. Thats mostly good, but
informations can change.
3. I don't like the way how you make kind of "panic". "You'll have errors,
loose data" ... as I don't think this reboot is necessary anymore. (See above
why)

If however you did see this with your own eyes that you had problems with
reiserfs with a decent kernel 2.4.20/21 and repartitioning, then I'll stop
disagreeing.

cu

Fabian

PS: Have a nice day.