Re: [debian-knoppix] hd-install: problems with new packages

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 11:30:37AM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:42:06PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel said:
> >
> > > 3) I once wasted about half a week with sid/unstable because of an update and
> > > minor system misconfiguration in one of the packages. Is testing a bit more
> > > secure?
> >
> > You say 'secure' but presumably mean bug-free. Yes it should.
>
> I believe you may be incorrect.  unstable gets security fixes very
> quickly, but historically there have been issues with testing getting

That is true too, but the original poster spoke about "misconfiguration in
one of the packages". I read that as bugs, and yes, unstable has (by design)
more of them.

Testing is grand, and I love it dearly -- but it has one downside: security
updates don't get in very quickly. That is somewhat known, but bears
repeating so thanks for stressing it again.

Testing is very good for a workstation behind some sort of firewall. Many of
us use stable for that function as the stable distribution is indeed well
attended to.

> fixes.  I know they've done things to address this, but I don't believe
> it gets the same response time as unstable does.

Yes, question of resources. A volunteer squad like Debian can't server all
possible goals equally well. Eleven architectures is already quite a task.

Dirk

--
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.